We are happy to invite guitarists residents of Quebec to compete in the fourth edition of the Société de guitare de Montréal’s Next Generation Competition, presented online through YouTube. Numerous prizes are offered! Thanks to the sponsors of this event: les Productions d’OZ and Grand salon de guitare.
Who can compete?
The competition is open to all young classical guitarists, aged 17 and under as of the deadline for registration, regardless of their level of proficiency. Contestants will be divided in two categories:
- Young Artists: 12 years old and under
- Young Virtuosos: from 13 to 17 years old
Registration requires filling the registration form of the SGM Next Generation Competition, paying the $40 registration fee and uploading a video on YouTube before the deadline.
Registrations must be completed before Sunday, March 29, 11:59pm EDT. No registration will be accepted after that date.
- Participation is restricted to residents of the province of Quebec.
- The competition is restricted to guitarists aged 17 and under as of March 29, 2024. Proof of age may be required. All registrations must be explicitly authorized by a parent or legal representative of the contestant.
- Performances will be filed on YouTube exclusively.
- Contestants are free to play pieces of their choice, but the total performance cannot exceed 15 minutes.
- Each contestant may enter only one video, containing all the pieces performed. Pauses between the pieces are allowed: contestants are not required to record all the program in one sitting. However, no editing WITHIN A GIVEN PIECE will be allowed. Video capture must be frontal, using only one fixed camera. Any non-complying video will be rejected.
- Contestants must name their YouTube video following a “First name Last name” “SGM Next Generation Competition 2024” model (for example “Alex Winter — SGM Next Generation Competition 2024”). The YouTube description must mention the contestant’s age category — Young Artists or Young Virtuosos — and list the pieces in the order of their performance.
- Registration fees of CA$40 must have been paid in full before the deadline.
- Registration fees are non-refundable.
- The jury’s decision is final.
- A list of contestants will be published on the Société de guitare de Montréal’s website, Facebook and Instagram pages.
- First-place winners of earlier editions of the contest may not enter the contest again.
- Contestants will be informed of the jury’s decision on April 13. Results will also be published on the SGM’S website, Facebook and Instagram pages.