Who can compete?
The competition is open to all young classical guitarists, aged 17 and under as of the deadline for registration, regardless of their nationality and level of proficiency. Contestants will be divided in two categories:
- Young Artists: 12 years and under
- Young Virtuosos: 13 years and over.
Registrations must be completed before Sunday, April 2nd, 11:59pm EST. No registration will be accepted after that date.
- Performances will be filed on YouTube exclusively.
- The competition is restricted to guitarists aged 17 and under as of April 2nd, 2023. Proof of age may be required. All registrations must be explicitly authorized by a parent or legal representative of the contestant.
- Each contestant may enter only one video, containing all the pieces performed. Pauses between the pieces are allowed: contestants are not required to record all the program in one sitting. However, no editing WITHIN A GIVEN PIECE will be allowed. Video capture must be frontal, using only one fixed camera. Any non-complying video will be rejected.
- Contestants must name their YouTube video following a “First name Last name” “SGM Next Generation Competition 2023” model (for example “Alex Winter — SGM Next Generation Competition 2023”). The YouTube description must mention the contestant’s age category — Young Artists or Young Virtuosos — and list the pieces in the order of their performance.
- Registration fees of CA$40 must have been paid in full before the deadline.
- Registration fees of CA$40 (via PayPal) must have been paid in full before the deadline.
- Registration fees are non-refundable.
- The jury’s decision is final.
- A list of contestants will be published on Société de guitare de Montréal’s website, and its Facebook and Instagram pages.
- First-place winners of earlier editions of the contest may not enter the contest again.
- Contestants will be informed of the jury’s decision on Monday April 17th, 2023. Results will also be published on the SGM’S website and Facebook and Instagram pages.
Jury for the 2023 edition